Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Monday, November 21, 2011

I Am Not Dead Yet

No, I am very much alive!  Sad to say!

On Nov. 6th we had a worship service, followed by a full immersion baptism for a dear friend of mine.  Our elder had a wonderful message on repentance and baptism.  I regret not taking notes, however, there was one thing he said (and I don't have it word for word) that has me doing a lot of self examining.....   He said that he will hold her under until no more bubbles come up, then she will be lifted up into a new life. We grinned and softly chuckled, for we knew he would not do that, but we did understand his meaning. 

So what does it mean to live a life in which I has been buried with Christ and is now living a new life?  What does it look like?  Is it a life that would blend in with the surrounding world? 

A person buried with Christ would no longer be an I person.  They would be a person who, in all areas, would reflect Jesus.  They would not pursue their own interests, but those of Christ's.  They would not speak their own words, but those of Christ's.  They would not dress in a way that would draw attention to themselves, but in a way that would honor Christ.  They would not do things to promote themselves.  They would seek other's interest way before theirs.  They would constantly be communicating with the Heavenly Father . . . "Lord, give me the words to speak. Lord, who do You want me to help today?  Lord, how do you want to change me through these circumstances. . . . . "  I have often thought about the life of Jesus and all that He endured here on this earth.  He was ridiculed, mocked, spit upon, called names, let down by His friends.  He never held a huge concert where His followers came out and swooned all over Him! :)  Why on earth did He not go crazy or get severely depressed or get discouraged?  It is because His life was not His own, it belonged to His Father.  There was no I in his life.   Am I content to be a nobody?  Am I happy if nobody notices me, or talks to me?  Am I happy for others if they have more than I do?  Does my family see Jesus in me, or do they see a selfish mom?  Do fellow shoppers see a happy, serene woman, or a miserable impatient grump?  Do I blog to make people think that I have something important to say or do I blog for the glory of God?  Are my facebook stat's to bring attention to me or do they bring life to the readers?  Oh, my friends, I never want to be a hypocrite or a brag or a better-than-you kind of person and these are the questions I have been contemplating the last few weeks.  Am I buried in Christ?  And does my life point to the One who gave His life for me?  I have been sobered with the answer.  It is no, the bubbles are still coming up.  I still lives!   "Lord, no true happiness comes from an I life.  My flesh is so weak, but my spirit is willing.  Help me to live with my eyes constantly focused on You, that it would not be I that people see but You.  Bring strength and contentment to live a hidden, buried life filled with Your Holy Spirit and not a self serving spirit"

You will truly know if you are a servant when you are treated like one.

Until next time...........

1 comment:

Gail Burton Purath said...

Great thoughts, Brenda. I think the bubbles coming up is a great analogy. Thanks for sharing this.
Gail