Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

16 Years Ago Today. . .

. . .my dad died.

His name was George Thomas Longenecker and he was the second oldest of 10 children.  
He worked for his dad, George Henry, in the carpentry business and got married at the age of 17 to my mother, Darlene Klepinger from Dayton, Ohio.  
He and mom lived in Philadelphia while dad served time as a conscientious objector.
Eventually, dad and his three brothers took over the business of Geo. H. Longenecker & Sons - carpentry, electrical, excavating, plumbing.  
He was a deacon in the Dunkard Brethren Church and years later was ordained as minister in the Conservative Baptist Brethren Church in 1997.  
Being the social person that he was, having people in our home for meals or visiting, was a common occurrence .
It was also not unusual for him to join the young folks for a game of baseball.
Jack Snyder was dad's best friend ever since they were very young up until death tore them apart when Jack passed away also at a young age.  I have yet to see another example of best buddies as those two were. 

I know that he prayed hard for me and my siblings and would often tell us that the only thing he can take to Heaven is his children.
Cancer cut his life short at the age of 56.  He fought it, but also made preparations for his death.  When thinking of that time - it was very difficult, but one thing that I am thankful for is that we had time to say goodbye to each other.  Special times together!

Dad had a lot of peace about the thought of his death and after he passed away, his lips turned up into a little smile!  It was incredible! 

  Dad touched many, many lives and every now and then someone will still say how they miss my dad and go on to say what he did for them.

This picture was taken in 1989.  It is four generations.....
Grandpa George, Grandma Fern, dad, myself and our Ben.
Grandpa George was killed in 1989 - would've been a few months after this picture was taken.  A drunk driver hit him head on and at the accident scene he asked that the emergency personnel take care of the other person first, which would've been the drunk fellow (who actually was not hurt).  Grandpa was flown to hosp., but passed away before the Dr.'s could help him.


This pic was taken in 1993......

 I have more pictures, but due to disorganization, it would take me awhile to get them all together.  These two pictures are special ones to me, so I will leave it at that.

Our three youngest children never knew dad, but I was expecting our fourth child while he was sick.  I had the privilege of being anointed with oil by him due to my high risk pregnancy.  We told him that if we had a son we were going to name him "George" and he got tears in his eyes.
 Our George was born 2 1/2 months after daddy died. 

His memories live on and I am thankful for each one!

One day we will be able to be together once again....

Until next time......... 

No comments: