Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Broccoli Anyone?

Thursday, 29 October 2009

  • Broccoli Anyone?

    Broccoli is one of the vegetables that we like to put in the freezer.  Lots of it, too.  It is fairly simple to process and it holds up well frozen.  And it is very, very good for you.  The broccoli is sweeter if cut after a frost.  Tonight, I started our first batch for the season.  A friend of ours offered to pick up veggies for us at the local produce auction, and he came home with broccoli this week.  I start out with washing the heads in cold water.  I add Basic H (Shaklee) to help clean the veggie of chemical sprays.   
    broccoli heads
    Then I cut the heads apart into smaller pieces.  Some people throw away most of the stalks, but I save them, peel the thick "bark" off and include the tender delicious insides with the crowns, or we eat them raw.  They are great with dip.  Next, the pieces go into a steamer and steam just until the broccoli turns a deep green.  We do not like mushy broccoli, so I cut the blanching time.
    steamer
    Let the broccoli cool on towel and them pack in freezer bags.
    cooling
    My favorite way of serving broccoli is over baked potatoes.  I rub the potatoes with olive oil, bake on the oven racks until done.  The skins will be crispy, but very delicious.  We mash the potatoes on a plate, top with butter, broccoli, cheese and sour cream.  A very healthy, and dairy promoting, complete meal.  If you want to include meat, make a hamburger gravy for on top, but this is a great dish if you want to have a meatless meal.   Enjoy!
    Until next time.......

No comments: