Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Home-made Deli Roast Beef

  • Home-made Deli Roast Beef

    Finally, I got to try my hand at making deli roast beef yesterday.  I used an eye round roast, rinsed and patted dry.  I forgot to weigh it, though.  Next time I try this, I will weigh it so I could journal the roasting time.  The roast was coated with olive oil, including the ends.  On top of that,  it was coated with pepper, salt, garlic powder, & onion powder.   The spices get patted into the meat, and I discovered it is better to do this with a flat surface of a cup, for the spices stuck to my fingers.
    raw roast beef
    beef ingred1
    The roast gets placed on a baking rack in a pan and roasted at 500 degrees for 20 minutes, reduce the temp. to 300 for another 30 min.- uncovered.  Use a meat thermometer to check the inside of meat.  I followed the times mentioned above and the roast was still very raw (the inside temp. was 140 degrees), so I roasted til temp. showed between med. rare - well done (between 160 - 170).  We are not too thrilled to eat blood dripping meat.  Take out of oven and cover meat with an aluminum foil tent, or lid for 20 min..  It is then ready to slice.  It will have a dark, hard coating.
    roasted beef
    It needs to be sliced VERY thin and this can be done only if you have a VERY sharp knife.  I found it easier to use an electric meat slicer. 
    sliced beef
    The last step was the taste test and we found it was delicious!!    Other spices of your choice could be added, such as cheyenne etc, as long as it is powdered.   I bagged up the slices and put into freezer for weekend sandwiches. 
    Definitely cheaper than store bought deli roast beef and it was not difficult to make at all.  It was worth the time it took.
    Until next time....................

No comments: