Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

How Serious Is It?

Tuesday, 29 December 2009

  • How serious is it?

    I have had a "heart cry" for a long time.  I have felt that I have no right to talk about it, but an incident happened last night that makes me realize that I must share what has been on my mind.  If the Lord gives a burden we are to do something about it, so with His help, I will try to put it into words.  They are coming to you out of love, with no condemnation and with a humble heart that realizes I myself am still a work in progress.
    I am a 43 year old mother of 6 children, a wife to "my man",  a grammy and a mother-in-law.  Obviously, I have not always been at this stage in life, and many times I reflect on my youth.  Regrets? Many! Was it all bad?  Absolutely not!  But, I cannot help but think about the regrets as I witness the youth of today.   I continually think of what I was like at each stage that my teens go through and think of what I would do differently in my life if I was that age again.   Looking back, I realize that I have wasted so many tender years pursuing the fleshly or carnal things of the world.  It seems like todays society is promoting "me" more and more - it's all about "me" and how can I maniupulate all circumstances, events, etc. to satisfy and meet the needs of "me".   That is in no way what the scriptures teaches (not then or now) and we all can recognize the results of that way of  thinking.   There are so many distractions for our youth, due to the advancement of technology and general decline of moral standards.  It is very difficult for them and I spend alot of time contemplating this issue.  The youth stage of life is not to "have fun" and "live it up".  It is a time to prepare for adulthood.  A time to learn good work ethics, responsibilities and to realize that there are consequences to actions.  Also, most importantly, a time to establish a relationship with the One who makes all the difference in the world - Jesus!   The One who can guide you and give you strength to overcome temptations.   One of my regrets is not establishing that relationship in my young years and succumbing to the peer pressures of that time.   Oh, how can I convince you dear young people how serious it is to evaluate this time of your life?  Just 24 hours ago, Solomon and our friend, Tucker, were in a car accident.   When we stood at the scene and viewed the damage, a realization overcame us.  All people involved were ok, but it was only by a matter of seconds and it could've been very, very different.   Instead of an ambulance ride for everyone, a coroner could've been called.  Instead of  looking around in the E.R, they could've been opening their eyes in eternity!   Tears still flow when I think of  how our lives could be very different today.  This life is serious business and could be ended without warning or having a time of preparation!  It does matter what we are doing with our lives now.  It does matter how we are spending our time.  It does matter what we are listening to now, for it effects our thoughts and moods, which effects our actions and on it can go.  It does matter how we present ourselves now, for we are to represent Christ.  How we dress has a huge impression on how people view us.  Ladies, are we dressing modestly?  Are we promoting men to look at us with lust or respect?   Are we jealous or envious of others?   Are we developing cliques and leaving freinds out?  Or appearing superior to them?  Are the movies that we watch something we would want to be watching if Jesus walked in?  How about the words that are coming from our mouth?  Or the places that we visit?  Or the websites that we view?  The list can go on and on.  All these things effect our spiritual life and it does matter, for one of these days, we will die in some way and we will face the One who is the Judge and our destination will be announced.   Let all of us put aside the flesh, take hold of the things that are spiritual, the things that change our hearts and gives us strength to live the life that the Lord has for us.    To all the adults,  please let us take seriously our position as examples,  and encourage our youth of today to travel the high road, the straight and narrow way even if it means they have to stand alone.  It will be so worth it!!
    Until next time................

No comments: