Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Yoke


Saturday, 20 March 2010

  • The Yoke

    Here it is, 3:30 A.M.  (yes, it is in the middle of night!) and I am wide awake.  Not because I went to bed really early, or that I need to get up.  No, it is because I can't turn off my mind.  "Oh, I shouldn't have said that......I should be spending more time with the boys......laundry to do again......need meal ideas.......failed to reach weight lose goals - again!.......should walk every single day, it would be good for mind & body......should we do a garden? and if so, what should we plant?......what about the happenings in the world.....how consumed should we get?........."   On & on & on!   Then God taps me on the shoulder and whispers, "what about the lesson you learned this week?"   Sigh!  It is so much easier to see the truth & tell/teach the truth, but much more difficult to put it into practice in our own lives.  Easy to become a hypocrite?  Yes! 
    One of my favorite scriptures is Matt. 11: 28-30.  "Come unto me, all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon me, learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and my burden light."   I was to have devotions at our homeschool co-op and felt led to share this passage.  When I did more studying on this and learned more depth of the meaning, it became my most favorite passage.
    What is a yoke?  It looks like this....and it was used with oxen many, many years ago.  The heads of the oxen would be put into the loops and they would be "yoked" together to work in the fields.  Could they do their own thing?  Go their own ways?   Nope!  They had to work together, pull together, turn together, stop together, etc..  They were a team!!  Who is weary?  Who is heavy laden? Who is carrying a burden?   Me, and most likely, you.    Everyone is in a sense.  Maybe we are weary of trying to meet expections and goals that are laid on us by ourselves or other people.  Maybe we are carrying the burden of guilt for not meeting these goals or expections and sin in our lives, or the burden could be trying to make a living and supported your family.  The youth (and adults, for that matter) could be consumed with gaining exceptance among their peers, or wanting to be the most popular, best looking, most athletic, having a model figure, the fastest car.  Parents can become consumed with having the same goals for their children, just adding to their burden.  Maybe we as parents compare ourselves to other families.  "Oh, that family gets to go on a vacation every summer,  their children are going to college, their children behave so much better then mine, why didn't they gain weight like us?, they have a nicer home, car, lawn mower, swimming pool...............(where does it end?).   After awhile this burden becomes so heavy, and we become so weary, and so guilt riden that we don't feel like going on and living.  We are in one side of the yoke and the world is in the other.  Jesus says, "Come to Me, take My yoke upon you, for it is easy and My burden is light."  That does not mean that when we decide to follow Jesus our lives will be a piece of cake.  No, it will be difficult and hard at times.  It requires submission and self-denial (2 things that don't come easy, for sure), but this is the only way that we can have true peace & joy in our lives.  Jesus can come in and remove all guilt and pain.  He is offering this to all people, which means He loves imperfection, for who is perfect?  His yoke is lined with love and when we put it on we will receive it, along with forgiveness, peace, guidance & direction in our lives.  Picture you in one loop and Jesus in the other.  It is His yoke, so He will be carrying the load of it, but you will be walking together, working together, talking together, living together and He would be beside you through it all.  When temptations, expectations, peer pressures, etc. come to you, He would be there to walk through them with you, making your burden light.  Will I chose to wear it?  Will you?  As we walk with Him, just talk to Him.....
    " Lord, what do I do with the meal plans?  Could I really serve cereal every meal?  =).  What about all the laundry?  Would you help me do it with a smile on my face?  Please put a guard at my mouth that the words that come out would be upbuilding and positive and the food that goes in would only be enough to satisfy my physical hunger.  Help me to discipline my time that I would spend is wisely and that I would take time to have fun  with my hubby and children.  Am I being too self-centered?  Forgive me when I try to be someone I am not and help me find contentment in how you created me.  Help me to see and love other people as you see them and not lay any burden of expection upon them.  Thank you for being a God who loves us in our imperfections, is willing to carry our burdens and cares and for providing forgiveness and grace when we stumble.  Amen"
    Now, I think I can go back to bed.  The only thing is, is that Dave is up ready to get started with his day!  I will see if the Lord will allow me to nap today.   His yoke, not the worlds, is what I desire.
    Until next time..............

No comments: