Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Testimony


Thursday, 29 July 2010

  • My Testimony

    Last week, Mr. Glenn Beck gave a 40 day challenge.  He has become more of a minister than a political talk show host and his theme is Faith, Hope and Charity.  That is what he talks about and is begging people to turn to God and practice these 3 things.  Whoever took the challenge and signed the pledge, here is what they must do for 40 days - practice   1).  Faith - pray on your knees every night and let your children see you.  Pray for guidance, peace, for the leaders of this country.  Re-establish your relationship with God.    2). Hope - hope comes from truth and you can't have hope based on lies.  Question with boldness - about everything and no matter who said it.  Determine what is true in your life.   3). charity - at least once a week, do something kind and loving for each family member.   Notice how blessed you are and be grateful.         I felt lead to take the challenge and I must admit it has been a challenge.  Not the praying on my knees or doing kind things, but determining the truth in my life.  Determining what I really believe in.   We just finished day 8 and my mind is so very full.
    While thinking what I truly believe in has made me think of my whole spiritual journey.  I was raised in a Brethren Church where there were alot of rules, mostly external rules and teachings that was mostly void of heart issues.  It makes me sad to think about it, but that was how things were in that generation of time.  I went to public school and that is where I met Dave (we graduated together), even though we did not start dating until after graduation.  His church background was not strict and he had little interest in Godly things.  Those of you who have gone to school with us, I know that Dave & I getting together was a huge shock.  We were totally different.  I was known as the "mennonite" girl (even though I was not one), and I am not sure what Dave was known as, but certainly not someone who our classmates would've picked for me.  That judgement was made because I "looked" different, but my heart was full of sin and not any better than anyone elses.   The Lord had plans for us, though, and I am amazed at what He has done in  our lives over the years.  Only by His grace.........   Well, we got married, started a family and our spiritual searching - together.  At one point we joined a VERY conservative church that had even more rules and that is where the Lord started showing us some truths that we could not see before.  We left that church, visited another and eventually ended up homechurching for a few years.  It was during that time, that I began to see who I really was, for I no longer had a church telling me what to do, how to look, etc..   I could no longer hide behind church rules, I had to face up to myself, for it was just me and the Lord.  He started showing me that gossip was wrong, envy, jealousy, bitterness, and pride were also sins that needed to be addressed (still addressing them!).  Dave & I started searching the scriptures to find out what God required of us, not other people, but God.  That has been a few years ago, and to be honest, the search goes on and gets deeper & deeper into the heart.    These past few days made me realize that it is easy to believe in something because that is always what we believed in and it certainly is easier to keep believing in it than to rock the boat.  Jesus wants us to get out of the boat, to walk on the water and keep our eyes focused on Him and Him alone.  The point I am at right now, is I have a deep, deep desire to know the truth of the scriptures, not what the Brethren or Mennonites, Methodists, Protestants, Calvinists, Reformed Theology or Arminians say, but what God says, pure and undefiled.  We are living in the days of much deception and it is so easy to become a part of a group, to want to "fit in", to not look different, and sometimes by doing so, we miss what is God's truth for our lives.  We need to stand up and question with boldness.  We need to ask the Lord to reveal to us His truths and then ask for strength to apply them to our lives, no matter if we have to stand alone.  It has been interesting, for He has shown me that the internal is very important, and the external as well.  As a family, we have started writing down what we believe in starting with who Jesus is, who we are in Him, etc..  Maybe I will expand on it next time, if the Lord leads me to.  I was wondering.....what do you believe in?  Who do you believe in?  Is it the truth based on scripture alone?  Are you sure?  Ummmm....please make sure, for in the future you will be tested and at the judgement seat there will be no excuse.
    Until next time...........  

No comments: