Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Importance of Stick-Togetherness


Thursday, 15 July 2010

  • The Importance of Stick-Togetherness

    Dave has always stressed that a very important thing in life is for families to stick together.  To work and play as a unit, to pull together for a common purpose.  To look out for each other.  We need to support each other, even though we may have different interests or goals.   Well, here of late, I have been somewhat frustrated at how the boys seem disgruntled at each other all the time.  If one would say something, someone would argue or make fun.  They started treating me the same way - after all, I am just a mom who don't know anything, right?  "Mom, you just don't understand what it is like to be a boy!"  Well, to be honest, I don't always understand why they do the things they do, or how on earth they came up with that idea, but (yes, I know, if you say "but" everything before it is a lie, BUT  I mean what I said before "but") I am still the mom, and I do have more wisdom than they do, so they should NOT argue with me.  DAVE, PLEASE HELP!  So, he gave a demonstration.......
    We have one lonely pencil.  This pencil is a person.  Along comes the stresses of life....a bully, sickness, too much work, no friends or family, disagreements, etc.  The stresses become heavier and heavier, the pencil starts to bend and very quickly.. snaps...
    wringer washer pencil lesson 001
    Or, each family member can decide to be selfish and only care about themselves, only look out for themselves, decide they are the only right one and soon the home is very divided and filled with tension. You are together, but not together.  You become as weak as that lone pencil without family.
    wringer washer pencil lesson 003
    God has put into each & every person the desire to be loved, wanted, and needed.  The desire to be part of a family where parents, brothers & sisters look out for each other, where there is honor and respect.  A place where kind, supporting words are spoken (this is an area we are working on right now) and where there is trust, which is VERY important.   Is it easy?  Not always.  We are all human beings with different personalities, interests and opinions.  Even though we are all different, we can still fulfill God's plan for families, and that is to be a unit bringing honor and glory to Him and showing the world what it means to love one another.  So gather up a bunch of pencils, hold them tightly in a bundle.......go ahead....try to break it.......
    wringer washer pencil lesson 002
    They are strong and can take stress, troubles and trials and they remain in one piece.  That is how we, as a family, need to be, a bundle tightly held together, unbreakable no matter how much "pressure" is put on us.   I loved the lesson and the boys were quite fascinated.  I do believe that I have seen a change in them, already.  Our families are very important and well worth all the effort it takes to hold them together.  May God above give all of us parents the wisdom, love and understanding to take on the task given to us.  We can, in His strength!!
    Until next time...............

No comments: