Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Monday, July 25, 2011

The Drought of 2011


Monday, 25 July 2011

  • The Drought of 2011

    I cannot tell you the last time it rained.  I mean really rained.  Maybe 3 times we have had drizzle in the last 4-5 weeks, and today it rained in a nice manner, but so briefly that it will make no difference.  They are still calling for heavy rain this afternoon and tonight, so we are waiting to see if the weatherman is accurate.   We have been praying for rain and friends having been praying right along with us.  I know it will rain again sometime, but in the Lord's timing.  Lack of rain has a tremendous effect on the farmers!   I don't want to go into all the details of those effects right now, but decided to share a few pictures of what it looks like in our area.......
    This is one of our pastures......
    IMG_2795
    Part of our yard......
    IMG_2796
    Neighbors corn....the light color is dead corn....
    IMG_2798
    IMG_2799
    IMG_2800
    Another corn field.......
    IMG_2801
    We realize that we should NEVER complain about the rain!  A good soaking rain is worth thousands of dollars, literally.
    I don't like to always "spiritualize" everything, but this drought has raised alot of questions about our future as farmers.  We worry, our faith wavers and we wonder why God does things like this.  However, in the midst of it all, I realize that God is bigger than a drought, He is bigger than any changes this drought may bring, and I know that He will go on supplying all our needs.   I have been thinking about the 23rd Psalm....The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures...........GREEN pastures?  "but, Lord there are none around here, so how are we to lie down in the sweet, tender grass and rest beside the still waters when the grass is brown and brittle and the creeks dried up?"  I have been attempting to wrap my mind around the deep meaning of these verses, for obviously there is a deeper meaning, for green pastures are not always available, along with a flowing creek.  Oh, I have this picture in my head...... wonderful, soft, green grass swaying in the breeze, a sweet rippling brook running through a grove of mighty trees, with birds singing in their branches, and the grass speckled with filtered sunlight.....I hear it all calling to me, "come, come and rest here.  Leave your worries and cares and find refreshment and strength in the midst of my peaceful oasis!"   That is the oasis that Jesus wants to be to us.  He wants to be our green pastures, our still waters of rest, our peace and strength in the times of drought in our lives.  He wants to be that place we run to when we feel parched and dried up and He will rain LIFE down over us.   He has so much to offer.......
    Until next time......................

No comments: