Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Coconut Milk Kefir

Kefir if fermented milk (cow, goat, coconut, almond, soy).  It is similar to yogurt, but little more tart and is much healthier for you than yogurt.  For more information on it, google it or go here.

I have successfully made cow milk kefir, and have been attempting to successfully make coconut milk kefir, as well.  Last week, I had made a batch using So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk in a carton.  It tasted like kefir, but it kept separating and did not get thick.  Also, the down side of using that brand is all the "extra" ingredients.  This past weekend, I was able to get to store to purchase my favorite brand (below) and try another batch.  This time I used a little more culture, too, and it came out just the way I was hoping.


2 Cans of Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk - Unsweetened - heated to lukewarm. 
 I like this brand because the ingredients are simply coconut milk, water and guar gum.  No funny  stuff.  This brand is also available in "lite".  (Update: 8-8-13 - when using the lite, the kefir will separate.  Just use the full fat!  Who cares about fat - as long as the kefir don't separate!   heeeheee!  jk)


1/4 tsp. of Kefir Type C culture


1 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin dissolved in small amount of COLD water.


Once gelatin is dissolved, stir into warm milk along with the kefir culture.  Stir well and pour into a quart jar.  Put into oven with ONLY the oven light on.  Let incubate for 12 -18 hours.  
I held my breath, for in the past it would remain real runny and I like it thick, like yogurt.  It thickened up this time, maybe due to the increased amount of culture and full fat milk.  In fact, it is so thick that I can tip the jar and it would not run out. 


Pour a cup in a blender with some frozen strawberries, blueberries or fruit of choice and the outcome is soooooo yummy and healing at the same time!



Until next time.......






5 comments:

Twila Henry said...

I hope you don't mind if I "pin" this to Pinterest!! I'd like to remember this recipe and try it sometime! :)
Where do you buy the Kefir culture??

Dave ~ Brenda said...

I don't mind if you "pin" it, Twila. Since this post, I have tried making 1/2 gal. and it worked!
I got my culture at Mast's Bulk Food, but I know you can order it online.

Unknown said...

Do you think this would work in a yogurt maker for incubation purposes, instead of in the oven?

Dave ~ Brenda said...

Yes, I think it would work, Christina. I would definitely not use the "lite" coconut milk if you are looking for a thick consistency, though. Maybe after you try it, you could revisit here and leave the results? :)

Unknown said...

Yes! I'm going to try it and see how it turns out! I always use full fat coconut milk for my coconut yogurt so I'll do the same with this :)
Wish me luck!!