Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Friday, January 21, 2011

The Farm, Flu, and Facebook


Friday, 21 January 2011

  • The Farm, Flu, and Facebook

    One thing about the farm - it doesn't close due to bad weather.  Especially if you have any kind of live stock and you want it to remain in that state.   Second thing about the farm - it doesn't close when those taking care of the live stock have the flu.  Those 4 legged creatures that provide part of our living need to be fed and milked twice a day, 7 days a week year round, no matter what!!  So, this week arrived like every other week has been doing, but some things are different.  The skies have decided to deliver snow, which makes outside chores slighty more difficult.  Dave is working on a job (that must be finished by next week) laying tile and has to start early in the morning and don't get home til 5:30.   Solomon worked a few days, which leaves Ben, George, Uriah, Oliver and myself to cover chores.  This is usually no problem at all, however, this week the flu hit and hit Ben, George and Uriah hard.  Chills, fever, stuffy head, dizziness, cough and exhaustion.  Oliver is only starting with it now and I am praying that somehow, someway it will totally miss me.  Dear Ben drags himself out to the barn to milk, with George's help if he is not too tight on his chest, and hurries back into the house to hold down the sofas and to provide us with some music titled "hacking".  Oliver & I have been doing all the feeding.    Am I complaining?  No, (even though I tend to get really tense when the boys are sick) this is life and all situations are permitted by my Heavenly Father and we learn character lessons through it.  It also confirms how important each and every family member is and how special they are and how thankful we are that we stick together through sickness and health, rain and snow, hot or cold.  By the way, it is only 58 more day til Spring!!  Bring it on!!
    Ahhhh, facebook.........I have come to love it!  It has been so good to keep in contact with old friends and new friends and get to know each of them better - all the while being able to stay in our home.  I have gotten to know some of my classmates, from 27 years ago (that long ago? really?), much better than when we were in high school.  Some folks accuse facebook of being a gossip center, but I cannot accuse any of my friends of doing that, plus they have provided encouragement and humor in my life.  I have one problem with it....it is addicting....  I go throughout my day feeling like I have to check fb when I get too close to the computer, and I feel I must check first thing in the morning and last thing at night.  So, I have come to love it too much.  I have been thinking of my priorities and realize that they are a tad mixed up.  The order of my priorities need to be, in this order:  God, Dave, our children (and everything that goes into meeting their needs), then everything else.  Facebook should fall in the last slot, but it has been up the list further.  So, I decided to do another fast for an undetermined amount of time.  Not because of my friends, but because of my lack of discipline.  So, my dear facebook friends, I will still be sharing about our lives on this blog and receiving email.  Xanga allows comments from non-members, so feel free to "talk" to me here, or email me.  My email is on facebook (no, I did not cancel my account and yes, I probably will be back).   So.....
    Until next time..................
    Update as of Sat. 22nd - Had Uriah and Oliver to Dr. - Uriah has upper respiratory infection, Oliver - bronchitis.  Georgie is better, Ben is still hacking, Solomon is now sick, but according to nurse it is not the true flu!  =)  See how long Dave & I can dodge it.  The Lord knows what we can handle.

No comments: