Zechariah 13:9

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried; they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9

Sunday, January 30, 2011

January Happenings - Canning - Sledding


Sunday, 30 January 2011

  • January Happenings

    January was a busy month.  We did a variety of activities......
    Ben, George, Uriah, Oliver, my mom, Gordon, Kelsey, Oakley and myself went to the Farm Show on Thurs. the 10th.  It was the first time we watched team penning.  Interesting......
    January happenings 018
    We decided to stay for the rodeo in the evening, since it was family day and the children got in $5.00 per person instead of $15.00.    Somewhat unnerving at times, but fun.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdlm858vb6U  - check out bull riding
    A real alpaca with Uriah and Oliver...
    January happenings 016
    Kelsey & I made homemade mushroom soup and canned it.  It is delicious....and easy to do....If you want recipe and details, let me know.
    January happenings 006
    January happenings 008
    I want to start making cheese again, but first cultures had to be prepared. Cultures are poured into ice-cube trays and once frozen, I release them into a freezer bag and use 1 cube per ounce of culture called for in recipe.
    January happenings 002
    I didn't get to make my usual muenster cheese yet, but tried (again) yogurt, cottage cheese and kefir.  I do not have success making yogurt.  Not sure what I do wrong, but Dave & the boys do not like "drinking" their yogurt.  Will have to work on that one.  Kefir was a success and is great in fruit smoothies, plus it is a great probiotic. 
    My 2 favorite books on making cheese .....
    January happenings 004
    Speaking of needing probiotics.....we should have been more diligent in taking them, for all the boys were really sick for about a week.  How do we homeschool when we have sickness in the house?  We watch documentaries and science movies.  We are members of netflix and they have LOTS of documentaries and movies pertaining to science.  One of our favorites was "Inside the US Secret Service".  We got an education on what all is involved in protecting Mr. President and other important people.
    We went to our wonderful library where a wonderful person named "Katie" helped the children make gingerbread houses.  That was our art for that week. 
    January happenings 019
    A new experiment this month, was trying to can rice.  It was successful!  1 1-2 cups rice (long grain brown), 1 tsp. salt in quart jar.  Fill with water to within 1 inch of rim, seal and pressure can for approx. 17 min..
    January happenings 022
    I tweaked another recipe for rice and beans.....3/4 c. rice (again, long grain brown is what I used) and 3/4 cup dried kidney beans, 1 tsp. salt, and water to fill to 1 " from rim.  Seal and pressure can for 1 hr. 20 min.   Tada!!    Open the jar, dump into skillet and add any other ingredients your heart desires and you have a very quick meal!
    January happenings 029
    And, of course, we had snow a few times....
    January happenings 011
    January happenings 013
    January happenings 012
    And it was discovered that plastic feed troughs, including hay, make great toboggans....
    January happenings 031
    Went as far as 1/4 to 1/2 mile ride!
    January happenings 032
    What will February hold?  I don't know, but I do know the One who is in control and holds tomorrow in His hands.  No need to worry or fret!
    Until next time...........

No comments: